What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an effective form of health care and part of a complete Traditional Chinese Medical system based on the principles of natural balance. It encourages the body to promote it's natural healing ability and improve overall function. It was developed in China over 3,000 years ago and continues to evolve, grow and be refined throughout the passage of time.
Acupuncture is a sage, drug-free and effective with each treatment designed specifically for the individual being treated. This method is based on the Chinese Medical Theory, stressing importance of treating the "whole person" and not a specific body part or symptom. To do this, all aspects of your health are taken into account including physical symptoms, emotions, your environment, and past health history.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommend Acupuncture as an effective treatment for over 40 different medical concerns, including:
- Acute or chronic pain including low back, shoulder or neck pain
- Fibromyalgia or other mind-body illnesses
- Tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome or other repetitive motion injuries
- Headache or chronic migraine
- Sinus congestion, allergies or asthma
- Gynecological disorders including infertility, PMS and menstrual irregularities
- Depression, stress or anxiety
- Gastrointestinal disorders including constipation, chronic diarrhea, IBS, gastritis, peptic ulcer, food allergies and indigestion
- Smoking cessation
- Drug and alcohol addictions
- Uro-genital disorders including stress incontinence, urinary tract infections and sexual dysfunction
- Nervous system disorders such as dizziness, neuralgia, numbness, insomnia
- Ear, eye, nose and throat disorders
An acupuncturist will place fine, sterile needles at specific locations on the body (called acupoints). Heat or electrical stimulation may also be applied depending on the situation and your bodies needs. This will promote natural healing and improves function by enhancing the recuperative powers, immunity, physical and emotional health, and well-being of the individual. Once inserted, you may experience a tingling or heaviness sensation. This is a sign that it is working and many find it very relaxing, some even fall asleep.